Responsible for supervision and training of drivers at Operating Company (OpCo), and for ensuring deliveries are made in safe, efficient and timely manner. Assists with monitoring Department of Transportation (DOT) logs, ensures drivers are in compliance with all DOT and OpCo regulations, and coordinates the tracking of all relevant information on drivers. Functions as a team member within the department and organization, as required, and performs any duty assigned to best serve the company.
Supervises associates to include, but not limited to: staffing, training, coaching, performance management and problem resolution. Assists in scheduling as well as ensuring deliveries and pickups are made in a timely manner. Rides with drivers for training and/or evaluation purposes.
Assists Transportation/Operations Manager with overall day-to-day administration of transportation and delivery functions, which may include calculating driver payroll, reviewing driver trip logs and expense reports, identifying and resolving problems, and ensuring that drivers are compliant with DOT and OpCo regulations. Operates computer keyboard to enter and access data in automated fleet management system.
Ensures drivers fulfill duties safely by monitoring vehicle safety, safe usage of ramps and handcarts, seat and weight belt use, and safe lifting and product-handling practices. May attend quarterly safety meetings.
Coordinates tracking of all relevant information on drivers, such as license status, traffic tickets, accidents and other risk and safety-related data.
Ensures accurate completion of all delivery and driver-related paperwork including invoices, cash receipts, collection register, trip reports, fuel tickets, deposit slips, DOT logs, Driver Vehicle Inspection Reports (DVIR), driver qualification files and accident reporting.
Ensures maintenance of all trucks, tractors and trailers through detailed review of post-trip inspections
Works in conjunction with Transportation or Operations Manager to minimize operating expenses and to ensure all deliveries are efficiently routed.
• Supervises both the fleet and driver workforce in an efficient, cost-effective manner
• Provides one on one Safety training support to the driving force
• Provides excellent customer service and team leadership
• May involve training and occasional product delivery as needed
• Hands-on experience in transportation and logistics operations
. Ability to be able to coach drivers within time constraints of a delivery schedule
• Ability to travel for training purposes off site for multiple days at a time.
• Thorough knowledge of DOT regulations, tractors, trailers, reefers, and truck computer systems
• Makes effective decisions by analyzing information and considering priorities
• Inspires others with enthusiasm and positive energy
• Effectively manages in a changing environment. Skills include leadership, planning, developing policies, delegation, and tracking performance against measurable goals
• Demonstrates ability to supervise a small staff
• Posses superior organizational skills
• Is articulate, professional, and effective at building relationships using oral and written communication
Performs other related duties as assigned.